13 λόγοι για να πίνετε πράσινο τσάι
13 reasons to drink green tea
Green tea is truly “miraculous”. Although it has been known for centuries that green tea is good for health, only recently have its therapeutic properties been scientifically investigated. It is rich in polyphenols, antioxidants that help fight harmful oxygen radicals in the body, which cause diseases such as cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Thanks to a powerful nutrient in the green tea plant, called epigallocatechin, this drink proves that nature really offers the best… medicines. There are more reasons than you may know to start drinking green tea. Here are 13 of them:
1. It blocks the accumulation of cholesterol in the arteries and helps prevent cardiovascular disease. According to a recent study published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, epigallocatechin (EGCG) helps prevent the accumulation of fat in the walls of the arteries.
2. In another new study, published in the Journal of Applied Oral Science, scientists examined the effects of epigallocatechin on the bacteria in the mouth and found it to be effective and inhibitory. Another study in the Archives of Oral Biology, confirms the antibacterial activity against harmful dental bacteria.
3. Helps slow down the development of breast cancer. A new study published in the journal Experimental Cell Research found that epigallocatechin inhibited cancer cell metabolism in breast tumors.
4. It helps protect skin from the damage caused by ultraviolet radiation, according to new research in the journal Pharmaceutical Development and Technology.
5. Green tea breaks down fat and epigallocatechin increases the rate at which fat burns in our body.
6. It “burns” belly fat. Research at Tufts University shows that epigallocatechin in green tea, like other catechins, activates abdominal fat burning genes and accelerates weight loss by 77%.
7. Keeps energy steady, balancing blood sugar levels. Epigallocatechin improves the use of insulin in the body to prevent increased blood sugar levels, which can lead to fatigue, irritability and the desire for unhealthy foods.
8. Research shows that tea can contribute to lung cancer prevention. In a study in April 2010, published in the journal Cancer Prevention Research, it was found that epigallocatechin suppresses the growth of cancer cells in the lung.
9. It can stop colorectal cancer. Many studies, including one in September 2012, report that epigallocatechin blocks and inhibits colon cancer.
10. According to the researches has shown that green tea destroys prostate cancer cells. A 2010 study in Cancer Science showed that epigallocatechin helps the body destroy those specific cancer cells.
11. May prevent damage to the skin and wrinkles. Epigallocatechin seems to be 200 times more powerful than Vitamin E in destroying the free radicals that cause skin problems. Free radicals react with the healthy cells of the body, causing damage and therefore, reducing their number, we reduce wrinkles and other signs of aging.
12. Contains a powerful antioxidant that kills free radicals. It can positively affect much more than skin cells because it is a powerful antioxidant. Free radicals are increasingly linked to many serious chronic diseases such as arthritis, diabetes and cancer.
13. It’s palatable. If you like the changes, try a few different types: iced or hot green tea or with the addition of a small amount of the sweetener stevia and lemon.
How to take advantage of its benefits
Add one or two teaspoons of green tea leaves to a cup of boiling water, strain and leave it for five minutes. Add ice if you prefer it cold. Experts recommend three cups a day. And don’t worry, it contains far less caffeine than coffee or black tea.